2 tablespoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon, plus 1/2 tablespoon
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup Half & Half
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus 3 teaspoons
1/2 pound rotini pasta
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
1/8 cup fresh bread crumbs
1. Cook and drain 4 strips of bacon. Crumble and set aside.
2. In a heavy, medium sauce pan melt 2 tablespoons butter over low heat. Add flour & stir constantly for about 3 minutes.
3. Increase heat to medium & whisk in the Half & Half little by little. Cook, stirring frequently for about 4 minutes or until thickened.
4. Remove from heat and season with salt & pepper. Add 1/2 cup of Parmigiano and stir until melted and smooth. Cover & set aside.
5. Cook pasta per package directions. Drain and return to pot.
6. Add garlic and 1 tablespoon butter to the pasta. Stir to combine.
7. Add bechamel sauce and bacon to pasta. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
8. Preheat oven to 350°and grease 8" x 8" baking dish with remaining butter.
9. Combine remaining Pamigiano with 3 other cheeses.
10. Place half of the pasta mixture in the dish. Top with 1/3 of the cheese mix. Repeat, covering the 2nd half of pasta with the remaining 2/3 of cheese.
11. Combine bread crumbs with 3 teaspoons of Parmigiano. Sprinkle over the mac & cheese.
12. Bake for 40 minutes or until bubble & golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.